RIF !! Reading Is Fundamental!!
RIF - Reading Is Fundamental well.. actually for the truly Modern Art Obsessed.. Art Books are the
drug of choice best candy. And vintage signed first edition photography books are the nerds art addicts cocaine Godiva Chocolates.
Actually I believe it's one of the last relatively undiscovered art collectible. On May 18th Christies only had their First Ever Photography Book Auction in London.
So, we have yet to see art book prices explode the way we've seen it happen to everything else in the Contemporary Art world. I also think it's a fun and educational way for new art collectors to
satisfy their addiction get their feet wet. Last year at least 3 new Books on Photography Books were published, and this month one of the most well respected leading NYC photography dealers, Howard Greenberg Gallery, has a new show just dedicated to Photography Books.
So, Today is the Swann Galleries Photography Book Auction!! Here's a few on the MAO hit list!!
- Berenice Abbott - Changing New York, 1939
- Aaron Siskind - Photographs. 1959
- Bruce Weber - Summer Diary, 1986 and All American, 2001
- Lee Friendlander - The American Monument 1976, Nudes 1991, and Little Screens 2001
- Andre Kertesz - Diary of Light, 1987
- Sugimoto Hiroshi - Theaters, 2000
So wish me luck.. and if any MAO readers out there have signed vintage versions of these Jems they'd like to sell... I'm a