New Kiki Smith Etchings at Reasonable Prices
MAO Art Buy of the Month...
There are two new
I picked them up last week, so I'm not sure if they are still available. It would seem people were just buying everything at Art Basel where they were first displayed last week.
The first one, which I liked the best, is titled "HOME" and the second is called "STILL" both made in 2006.
OK.. so, here's
10 11 of my best rationalizations for buying something I really don't need!!
- I really liked the images.. colors and tonal quality are quite beautiful
- The images just stuck in my head immediately
- Given how
crazyexpensive anything by an established artist seems to be today.. I thought they were reasonably priced at $3,000 each
- The edition was small of only 20
- They were nice sized prints 26 1/2 by 31 inches
- I'm a Kiki Smith Fan, I just Love, LUV, loved her last few books and shows! MOMA, The Walker & SFMOMA..etc..
- Some Kiki Smith work has been selling
at sky hi pricesvery well at the last few auctions
- I've been wanting to add her work to my collection for a while now
- How can you not like art by someone named KIKI! Watch this cool video of KIKI!
- Their social message/statement I found interesting and provocative, and
- They seem cheap to photography prints by other living artist of similar reputations
maybe not maybe worth pointing out to everyone. But, hey, what do I know. Plus Crown Point Press does some really great work.
Maybe yesterday was a slow art news day
and maybe Tyler was too tired or hungover from a wild weekend to write something real, but I was impressed to see Tyler Green writing about a "big" donation of Crown Point Press Prints to the Fine Art Museums of San Francisco (FAMSF).. But he also pointed out something I didn't know (da.. like, no surprise there!!), but, there is a current small show of Crown Point Press Etchings at the de Young. Thanks Tyler!