Photographic work by Ukrainian Artist, Arsen Savadov
We saw his work only once before at Scope Miami.. but upon seeing some of his additional work a second time.. they immediately sparked
what's left of our memory.
His powerful photography work from the "Collective Red" series 1998 (photo #1), has a visceral physicality you won't soon
be able to forget. Our understanding, from the surprisingly friendly and engaging gallery staff this weekend, was these are straight photographs. They are obviously significantly staged images, but they are made without any computer enhancement. Very impressive. Apparently, from looking at his bio, he's had some notable success in Europe..but, we think the artist is somewhat unknown to most NYC collectors.
So, what do you think of Arsen Savadov's work?
- Looks like Oscar material, or more like something out of Rocky Part XVI ?
- Grade-A prime choice photographic work.. or where's the Beef??
- Less filling, tastes great?
- Too much Andres Serrano want-to-be, or a true original artistic vision?
- High quality unsettling moving work.. or just a whole lot of bull?
It's certainly work worth checking out.. we were told the Daneyal Mahmood Gallery will have a solo show of his work in April of this year, which will consist of mostly painting....so, we're looking forward to seeing more work from this artist...
We certainly will also keep a close eye on the smart/nice people at the Daneyal Mahmood Gallery and their up and coming gallery program..