AIPAD NYC Fair 2007
We went to the AIPAD fair last night... as always.. it's clearly the biggest and best Photography fair in the USA, possibly the world.
These events are simply overwhelming..For an obsessed photography collector like MAO, it frequently feels like taking a drink from a Fire Hose. But, we've spent an obscene amount of money the last few weeks on a number of yet to be talked about artists/dealers so we promised ourselves.. the checkbook stays at home during this fair!! Plus we want to save some storage space for all the amazing auctions items coming up!
So.. just some
bitchy honest thoughts on this years AIPAD fair...
1. It's really nice to see lots of contemporary work at these shows.. AIPAD use to be dominated by
boring dusty old B&W only dealers. Now there's a much better balance.
3. William Christenberry photos were everywhere...at least 5 to 6 dealers.
4. His booth looked amazing we luv him...But, Bill Hunt is looking more and more like Marlon Brando every year.. and not Marlon Brando from A Streetcar Named Desire (1951).. but the Marlon Brando from The Freshman (1990). Rumor has it, Bill has been moonlighting as a cover model for a fashionable local NY magazine!
5. Painting your booth a strong color like green or cranberry was popular.
6. There was a dealer from New Orleans..who had a very impressive booth filled with amazing vintage work! Who knew...there are high end photo dealers down south??
7. We didn't see the work of any high-profile popular color photographers at this fair.. not a single.. Struth, Ruff, Sherman, Gursky, Goldin, Neshat, Hofer, Muniz, Tillmans, etc.. Shocking!
8. Some sanity still exists in the buyers of Art Photography. It was particularly nice to see the greedy unethical
vultures people at Janet Lehr/Vered Gallery had not sold their (400%) insanely marked up color Mapplethorpe photos from last year's fair. In fact, the same 2 photos were hung right in the front of their booth again this year! Will these stupid people ever learn..if you try to rip people off on one super over priced item.. they are just going to avoid you for everything, since they can't TRUST you! But in MAO's opinion they should have been kicked out to maintain the integrity and reputation of the AIPAD FAIR.
Tomorrow.. We'll write about our top new picks from the fair..and there were some really good ones this year!